Friday, June 21, 2013

Love on Lake Huron's stone shore



Friends and I camped out up in Canada by Lake Huron in September of 2005, and I went out by the shore to sleep on the beach, covered with rocks.
**********

Camping, I lay on these hard northern stones, cold and shivering,
But completely happy,
For they are your stones, washed
Clean and smooth by your tears;
And I feel your sweet breath blowing over my face;
And I hear the gurgle of your laughter in the lapping waters.
And over head, or should I say, out in front of me,
Way out, away from the surface of this small planet,
I see the glory of your complete thought:
a million stars, a million worlds, shining—
And you wink, at all of us, in a shooting star
Trailing long and slow across the arc of the sky,
A thousand years in a moment,
And an entire galaxy wheels in front of me!
Your handiwork, which makes me love you more.
Later, you wake me with a whisper in my ear,
And bid me look north
Where a dance of northern lights celebrates in slow waltz
Across the rim of the world!
Doing you honor and homage,
Lifting my heart with thrill and joy to know you.
I lay in happiness on these hard stones
You put here so long ago,
At peace in your embrace.

Some people tell me I should forget about you, that I merely imagine you,
That you are a figment of my dreams,
But I can’t help smile back when I see
The joy in your galaxy wide beaming smile upon us all.

1 comment: