Friday, June 21, 2013

A moment, Holy Thursday 07



Here I share one of the most profound moments in my life, one of those encounters one never forgets. This was the Easter Triduum, 2007. I was 49 years old, unaware that I would soon move across the country, fall in love, start a new life, be heartbroken, and be living in a different way.
Holy Thursday, 2007. The service starts at 7:00 pm, but it is 9:00 by the time I skulk half-heartedly over to the church, tired, exhausted, preoccupied, behind, figuring I’ll at least give a few minutes of prayer. I arrive as the worhipers are leaving, and enter the basement, where they chant Taize before the Blessed Sacrament, kneeling and sitting on the floor, many of them young students, holding hands, chanting the Taize hymn, “Stay here with me, remain here with me, watch and pray.” I join in, I love this chant. The sacrament is not in the usual monstrance, but simply wafers in a bowl. We are worshipping a bowl of chips? I am uninspired. It would be better to have no symbol here at all, than a symbol so lacking in visual encouragement. It is as if we are worshiping in an empty space, like the ‘Who’ people in the “Grinch that stole Christmas,” after the Grinch steals their tree. But the kneeling, chanting young people watch, and pray. I kneel and watch and pray too. I gaze upon the place where the Blessed Sacrament ought to be in its glory, where it lies instead in a stupid bowl. Resting in its humble, dull, setting. A respectful distance is maintained, no one too close to the table. As if to allow our Lord a little room to breathe. 

The silence is magical. At once it bursts upon me that we are remembering and joining with a man in a grove two thousand years ago, and those others who watched with him, silently, watching, and we support them there and they support us here. The veil of Time vanishes and we gaze down th centuries without Time. Something Real is here! We are transported. A Spirit is really here! 

Do not breathe too much. Listen, watch. I am fully awake and alert. A Spirit of such wholeness, such solidness, such realness, that all around us in the world seems tired and unreal, only half existing, compared to this vivid Spirit. I come to myself realizing that my jaw is hanging open the way a dog’s might when he contemplates the steak held in his owner’s hand, as though Christ himself was standing there, looking upon us once again, and it was the most incredible thing one could ever hope to live to see, and that night becomes vivid, where He sweats great drops as he faces the early end of a great life, as he considers all that he dreamed that will never come to be, as he summons up the courage to trust that this terrible choice is in fact the right one, as he prepares to gamble everything on his faith in the Father. And with great courage, great love, he accepts the pain, the pain not only of the body, but of the heart. For us all. All is complete.We are all one in this moment of choice that rings down the eons.

*******************
Then human nature intrudes. In the midst of it all, like a mirage, the red-headed girl I always see at church comes and kneels immediately in front of me. She always seems to be at Mass whenever I go, and always seems to be sitting just in front of me no matter where I sit. She never looks at me, never says hello. She is alluring, and so beautiful. I have watched her and noticed her for the last couple of years in church. Yet I have never spoken to her, she has never spoken to me, and I do not know her name. Now, this night, she blocks my view, just a few feet away from me, as though I were not even there, invisible. Nor is she is dressed to encourage my reflection on the Lord. She is dressed to encourage my reflection on her lithe and perfectly formed waist and hips. A flash of desire fills me, followed by resentment and then anger. “Why now do you seek to draw me now from the joy of the Lord? This is not the time!” Is she the devil come to distract me from real joy? Or an angel offered to me? I turn to the Lord for help, and he smiles again. A thought fills my mind, formless, wordless, perhaps translated something like this: “You were born as a man and your desires are those of a man, I made you that way. Do not be ashamed, do not be afraid. Be whole. Live in peace!” Now I return to prayer in peace, and to Him. And a moment later, the red headed girl rises and makes here exit, like a character in a Shakespeare play, to return when her time next arrives for her part in a story I most dimly sense.
********
            Meanwhile, we are chanting now, and all in solid prayer, and the Spirit is still in the room, as real as you or me. How do I Sense this? Not with physical senses, not even intuition: it just IS. One would grope for words to describe such a Reality. But in my heart it is as if this great Spirit seems to smile for a moment, standing there as a spirit amid the chanting, visiting us, and in his smile all is new, and all is made whole. My own aching heart, full of loss and grief, grows still and strong and whole. So should all hearts this night. My head lifts, and I hear our Lord speaks those words he spoke to those sinners he met on the road. The words they did not expect from one so great: “Rise.” “Sin no more.” “Go free.” And I think to me he whispers a bit more. “You were born to live this earthly life in great joy. So live it.”
I offer to the Lord all my fear, all my memory of desire and pain, every failed effort at what I thought was Love. I remember many many days of love, followed by pain.  All my longing, a life lived without contentment. I pray in my heart: “Lord, where shall I go? I am baffled and lost forever! Help me!” He only invites me to bring Him along. I will let Him lead, and instead of trusting my answers and plans, I will trust Him, this Spirit that seems so palpable here in the room, to Whom and for who we chant, with whom we watch, down through the long centuries of blood and sorrow to this very day, echoing through the centuries a great and holy desire for life and love and truth---
that desire the same in our hearts this night now as it was in his that night then, and we are one, all of us, here tonight and those that night, and so indeed, we pray in peace, fully content to gaze upon our love and our heart's desire represented here.
            So I walk home from there, as though some weight has been lifted. I know not where I go, nor what to do, nor why. And he answers not these questions, but only says, “Wherever it is you are to go, I will go too, and be with you.” And so I too am whole and good to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment